Currently a visually challenged person cannot use Verse (VOP) efficiently based on Web Content Accessibility guidelines. So screen reading softwares cannot work efficiently with Verse. So there is a feature request to provide full support in Verse according to Web Content Accessibility guidelines.
To be specific following challenges faced by user while trying to use Verse. User fully depends on Web Content Accessibility guidelines.
1. No link list is available, as a result it becomes difficult for user to navigate between various options.
2. Reading a mail: For reading a mail, user has to struggle a lot in going to inbox. After pressing enter on a mail user has to press tab key several times in order to view the mail. As a result, user has to devote a lot of time in viewing a single mail.
3. Reading a mail which contains multiple thread: When user opens a mail, which contains multiple conversations then only the mail which is received at the last gets expanded and rest of the mails remain collapsed, as a result it becomes difficult for user to analyze and understand the entire conversation. Multiple conversation tag has not been prepared as per Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
4. User is unable to access calendar with the help of screen reading software (JAWS). It is not at all accessible with keyboard.
5. User is unable to view all the mails in Draft and Send with the help of keyboard. When we open these options, JAWS only speaks 1 or 2 mails.
6. Searching recipient while composing a mail: When use types CPF number in to edit box and press enter, JAWS does not announce name of the concerned employee. User has to take someone’s help for locating the name of employee in directory. Focus tag is not labelled properly and it contains an object which creates a hindrance for JAWS to work properly.
7. When user types the message and press enter, cursor jumps and shifts its focus. Every time user has to press tab key after pressing enter in order to reach to Text Edit Box. Focus tag is not labelled properly.
8. Although user can send a mail, but JAWS do not speak the message which is displayed on the screen after the mail has been send i.e., your mail has been send.
9. It is difficult for user to locate the option of attaching a file and inserting an image because the option is not labelled properly. For locating the options, user has to use tab and arrow keys several times. As a result, lot of time gets consumed and the task also becomes tedious.
10. User is unable to locate the option of sign out or log out with the help of keyboard.
So it is requested to provide all the features in Verse with respect with Web Content Accessibility guidelines so that user can use the Verse application efficiently.
The only workaround to this situation is to use Notes Client which has more and better features in accessibility area. Ideally for visually challenged person, Notes Client should be given rather than browser based application.